FACT: George Washington's wife had an affair with Abraham Lincoln.
Reasons to believe this fact:
- Some guy you don't know said it's a fact on his website.
- Washington and Lincoln were both early presidents, so maybe.
Reasons not to believe this fact:
- This guy has no legal obligation to tell you the truth.
- This guy isn't a reputable source.
- This fact seems a little fishy.
- There are no sources that back this fact up.
- You know enough about history to know that Martha Washington was
dead 7 years before Lincoln was even born, and nothing you can do with
a 7-year-dead skeleton counts as an affair. Plus baby Lincoln wasn't married,
so it'd just be a relationship. Or a fling, I guess.
In this case, the misinformation is harmless.
But it's probably a good idea to have a reasonable amount of doubt when presented with information, until you can verify it with multiple sources you trust.
xoxo Ben Kling
See also: How James Blunt Tweeted From The Afterlife